Thursday, July 18, 2013

Christmas and Chaos

We spent this past Christmas in Cleveland with Rich's family. I even got my white Christmas, despite Pops giving me the evil eye every time a flake fell to the ground. It was great being with his family and all the nieces and nephews. Such a great family to spend some good quality time with.

All was well with the world until the day before we were due to fly home. A "blizzard" was predicted to dump tons of snow, I forget how many feet were predicted now, on Cleveland and flights were starting to be cancelled. Our flight, of course, was cancelled. When I called to see about when we would be able to get home I was told it would be 2 more days. Ugh. I wanted to be home and sleep in my own bed. But, two more days we would wait. The "blizzard" was called off the next morning, but our flight for 6p was still a no go. There MIGHT have been 8-12 inches that fell. Clearly not a blizzard and clearly no reason for that area to cancel flights. The news was showing pictures of the airport and all was clear, they have the equipment and were on top of things, still we had to wait.

Friday we arrive at the airport and wait. and wait and wait and wait. In a matter of 30 mins I had 8 different notifications from SW stating our flight was delayed (and delayed, and delayed...). By this point Rich gets in line to speak with an agent because it is not looking like we will make our connection. I get on the phone with SW, to see who will get help first. I get to speak with a customer service rep before Rich but was told there is nothing she could do that the gate agent has more options for us (this made no sense but thanks). Rich got up to the counter and was told that there was no way we would get home that night, or the next. We had the option of staying in Cleveland for two more days or flying to Chicago that night and SW paying for us to stay there for 2 nights and then getting us home from there. Yes, Chicago, please. There are more flights out of Chicago than there are Cleveland, better chance of actually getting home!

The coolest part? My mom was visiting Mandy in Illinois and they were planning a day tooling around Chicago. So, we got to spend a day with Mandy, Mo and my mommy. It made the whole being stuck thing that much better! A free stay in Chicago and get to see and play for a day with family, thank you SW! So Mandy and Mo picked us up the next morning and we went and had a yummy Persian lunch, went to the zoo (Yes, we are that crazy. it was freezing, there was snow on the ground, I couldn't feel my toes or my nose but hey, we were having fun), went and looked at the holiday window displays, shopped a little, had some hot coffee and then a fabulous family dinner. Even though Mo had to get up early the next day for work, he stayed out late with us so that we could all enjoy the time together. Being stuck was turning out to be fun!

All the nieces and nephews

Pretty winter wonderland, before our flight was cancelled it was pretty! :)


Rich trying to shovel the end of the drive so Pops could see where it was

Pops had to show Rich how to work the snow blower.
Be jealous ladies, my husband IS in fact and engineer and couldn't get the snow blower started ;)

Pops wanted to do it...so I watched


I think I found a new good look for me!
 

 

I wanted to build a snowman. If I was going to be stuck, I was going to make the most out of it. Dang it if the snow wasn't of snowman making quality! :(

So we will just take a pic of us in our PJs


My mommy and the Chicago sky line
Mandy and Mommy

How is he not cold? pretty sure his natural habitat is one that doesn't see snow often, but I could be wrong

 



Rich was trying to make himself big enough to hide the ugly umbrellas in the back, I think it worked!


No comments:

Post a Comment