Saturday, November 17, 2012

Jumping through June...new pictures added

In June, Rich and I were able to venture out and see parts of Arizona that we haven't seen before.
 
Thanks to a lucky draw of our name on our honey moon cruise, we won a trip to Aruba that we took for our first anniversary and two smaller state side trips. Our trip to Sedona was compliments of that lucky draw.
 
On our way to Arizona, Rich and I stopped at the Meteor Crater. What a site to see. It is hard to fathom how big this crater is, how deep and how wide it runs, even when standing at the top. Despite the 60+ mile an hour winds, we stepped out to see all there was to see of this huge hole. then we climbed to the top to see it from a birds eye view. WOW. It is simply amazing. 
 
 

 
When we arrived to our resort in Sedona, this is the view we were greeted with from the second floor balcony. Our resort suite was 2 stories with 2 bedrooms and 3 full baths. A Kitchen, fireplace and living room completed the suite. It was beyond what we expected to be staying in!

 
One of the things we wanted to make sure we were able to see while living in this part of the country was the Grand Canyon. Breathtaking!
 
Rich and I decided to rent some bikes and take a bike tour of the canyon. We had an awesome guide and one other tourist with us, she was from Australia and had the most awesome accent. I was fearful to ride the bike because I hadn't ridden one since I was a kid, at least 20 years ago. But, Rich talked me into it.
 
Ready for our ride

 
Our first look at the canyon

 
The tree I killed.
Remember the fear? Yup, I had reason for it. I killed a tree, scraped my elbow and knees and was bleeding in places I will not speak of. Down a hill, around a corner and faulty breaks lead to this oh so painful memory.

 
:( OUCH

 
But I survived, and loved the hike around the crest of the canyon.
I took this picture just for my mommy.  She doesn't like heights. She also doesn't like anyone being near an edge of anything higher than a curb. How could I not take this picture for her?

 
there was a cute little breakfast place within walking distance from our resort. The sights along the walk were absolutely beautiful!

 
Rich's goal is to hit all the major league ballparks. We had to cross one off the list while we were in Arizona. Lets go Diamondbacks. It was a good game with great seats and yummy food.

 
At the game, all the Arizona schools mascots came to celebrate the Diamondback's mascot, it was his birthday (I forget his name now). Just for Sheila, I ran the Lumberjack down so I could get this picture with her college mascot. the things we do for our friends!

 
On our way home, we stopped at the petrified forest. BEAUTIFUL. It is hard to believe that these trees were once trees. They are all petrified now, like stone. The cracks, the bark, the age rings of the tree stumps, all intact but not wood any longer. So cool.


 
And, the promised additional pictures:
 
 
 
Rich posing at the crater
this is the inside museum there, so you could get
 "up close" and personal with the crater


Rich always wanted to be an astronaut
I just want to be goofy



MASSIVE crater. thats a house with a fence around it down there...


Largest fragment of the meteor they found




Beautiful view driving into Sedona



Loved all the outlooks over the Grand Canyon

 Hermit's Rest
 
 
The outside of the fireplace at Hermit's Rest

 
The inside view. This thing was ENORMOUS

Again, for Mom.  Its so PURTY!

Look mom, no hands

Love this one!

That, my friends, is a HUGE tree trunk that is petrified.

It was story time in the forest.
We had a walking map that told us some history about the forest and what we were looking at. Everytime we got to the next number, Rich would read to me what it said.


The color variations of all the logs was so pretty. Too bad it is a federal crime to take any of the purties with you! :(
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment