Thursday, September 19, 2013

Our Adoption Story: Crazy busy day

So, I know its been a while. This move was crazy, that's a blog for another day, but we are finally (mostly) settled and now I can get back to this. So here it goes:

Monday February 4, 2013 I was walking out of my office, with my boss, to head down to Santa Fe for the legislative session. It was going to be a long day and we would be working well into the evening hours.

As we were walking out of the office building my phone rang. I recognized the number as being our adoption agency so I answered it. When I answered they asked if it was a good time to talk, what was I going to say? I explained that I was getting in the car and about to hit the road so if we were disconnected they knew I hadn't just hung up on them. They proceeded to tell me that the birthmother, the one they had asked us about last week, wanted to talk with us. My heart jumped into my throat. I didn't know what to say, this had never happened before. They asked if that evening was a good time but with me working in Santa Fe all day, and our scheduled slot with the legislators not being until that evening, it was going to be a late phone call. I explained this to them, and with the birthmother living in Florida, and the 2 hour time difference, I didn't expect it to happen.

They said they would ask her if that evening, and the time I would finally be free and able to talk with her, would work and let me know. I was on pins and needles all day. It was so hard not to get excited because we still didn't really know if she would be able to talk to us or when. With the pressure of my assignment that day, I was going stir crazy. I was glad I had work to focus on, it didn't stop me from checking my phone every 5 minutes but still.

Sometime that afternoon I received a call from Kathie, she had to leave a message because I could not answer my phone. She said that the birthmother would not be able to speak with us that night because it would be too late. I completely understood, it would have been 10:00pm her time. What woman, being 9 months pregnant, would be awake and able to have a conversation at that hour?! So Kathie had set it up for the next day at 5:00p.  I was so nervous but so very excited to talk to Rich and tell him.

Adoption was so close, we could taste it. But would this be a repeat of November? Would she speak to us and not like us? Would she decide that she wanted to parent? Would we be heart broken all over again?

I didn't get home from Santa Fe until late that evening, 9:00 I think. The whole way home I was nervous, butterflies in my stomach and prayers in my heart. This was going to be a long evening, probably filled with sleepless fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment